Sunday, January 30, 2011

Ellie's a Reader!!!

Ellie is getting so excited about starting kindergarten next year; it's all she talks about. She has a few favorite books that she loves for us to read over and over and has even started "reading" the story to us. I was telling a co-worker (a kindergarten teacher) about Ellie's interest in books and she hurriedly picked out books to send home for Ellie to try. I have to admit, I could hardly wait to show them to Ellie and see how she responded. Well, much to my delight...she loved them!!!! She sat at the table in her room, very kindergarten-like, and read. Over and over again, she read those books, her voice gaining confidence with each word. Of course, the books were sight word readers with repetitive text, but she read nonetheless.
As I listened to my little girl read her first book, I had flashes of reading Pug when I was her age and making everyone in my family listen to me read day after day--the same stories. It was a glorious feeling that fueled my love of reading and my confidence as a learner. I pray that Ellie will develop a confidence in herself and in what she is capable of that will remain with her no matter what struggles she faces.




No comments:

Post a Comment